What needs to be done to baptise a baby at the Qawra Parish?
- Parents agree that they want to baptise their child. At least one of the parents must have been baptised in the Catholic Church.
- The parents must choose two godparents of opposite gender.. At least one Godparents must be a practicing Catholic, so that they can help the child being baptised to grow in the Catholic faith.
- The parents must get a full copy of the child’s birth certificate that was was issued in the previous 6 months. This can be obtained online from here or by going to the Public Registry at Evans Buildings, 1st Floor, Valletta.
- Both godparents have to download the “Godparent Eligibility Declaration” form (one form for each godparent) from here, and fill it in and sign it. By filling the form they declare that:
- They are 16 years or older
- They are not a parent of the child being baptised
- They are practicing Catholics and they accept the Catholic faith
- They abide by the Catholic Church’s teaching
- They have received the holy sacrament of confirmation and they regularly go to confession and recieve the holy Eucharist
- The parents must download the “Request for the administration of the “Sacrament of Baptism of minors” form from here and fill it in but do not sign it – this will be signed in the presence of the Parish Priest.
- Parents who wish to baptise their child in the Qawra Parish but they are not residents in this parish have to go to their respective Parish Priest to ask for permission. The Parish Priest will fill the “Permess biex sagrament jiġi amministrat f’parroċċa oħra” form and give it to the parents so that they can present it to the Qawra Parish Priest. Before going to the respective Parish Priest it is advisable to make an appointment.
- Both parents go to the Qawra Parish Office to agree with the Parish Priest on the date and time when the baptism will be celebrated. They need to bring the following forms and documents as already mentioned:
- Full birth certificate of the child that was issued in the previous 6 months from the Public Registry
- The “Godparent Eligibility Declaration” forms, one for each godparent
- The “Request for the administration of the Sacrament of Baptism of minors” form, filled in but not signed
- If the child is going to be baptised in the Qawra Parish but the parents are residents in another parish, they also need to bring the “Permess biex sagrament jiġi amministrat f’parroċċa oħra” form given to them by their respective Parish Priest.
Note: Qawra residents who wish to baptise their child in another parish must go to the Qawra Parish Priest (check opening hours here) to ask for permission. The Qawra Parish Priest will fill in and give them the “Permess biex sagrament jiġi amministrat f’parroċċa oħra” form so that they can present it to the Parish Priest of the place where the baptism will take place.